Shrikhand: A Delicious Indian Dessert.
Shrikhand is a popular dessert in Indian cuisine that originated in the western state of Gujarat. It is made from strained yogurt (known as hung curd or chakka) that is mixed with sugar, saffron, and other flavorings like cardamom, nutmeg, or rose water. The mixture is then chilled and served as a sweet and creamy dessert.
Shrikhand is often enjoyed on its own or as a topping for other desserts like puri (a deep-fried bread) or served as a side dish to a meal. It is a popular dessert during festivals and celebrations in India, particularly during the festival of Janmashtami which celebrates the birth of Lord Krishna.
In this recipe, we will show you how to make shrikhand at home.
- 2 cups of plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- 1 tablespoon of chopped pistachios for garnish
- Step 1: Hang the Yogurt Hang the plain yogurt in a cheesecloth or muslin cloth for at least 4-5 hours or overnight in the refrigerator to drain the excess water. The resulting thick and creamy yogurt is known as hung curd or chakka, which is the base of the shrikhand.
- Step 2: Soak the Saffron In a small bowl, soak the saffron threads in a tablespoon of warm milk for 10-15 minutes until the milk turns yellow and fragrant.
- Step 3: Mix the Ingredients In a mixing bowl, whisk the hung curd until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, saffron-infused milk, cardamom powder, and nutmeg powder. Mix all the ingredients well until everything is well combined and the sugar is dissolved.
- Step 4: Chill and Serve Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours or until chilled. Before serving, garnish with chopped pistachios or any other nuts of your choice.
- Step 5: Serve and Enjoy Serve the shrikhand chilled on its own or with puri, a deep-fried bread, for a traditional Indian dessert. Enjoy the sweet and creamy taste of this delicious dessert.
Shrikhand is a simple yet delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make at home with just a few ingredients, and it is a great way to experience the flavors of traditional Indian cuisine. Try this recipe and savor the sweet and creamy taste of shrikhand!