(New) Bihar Black Mustard Seed 1.8 Oz
BLACK MUSTARD SEEDS are small round seeds derived from the black mustard plant (Brassica nigra). They are commonly used as a spice in various cuisines, particularly in Indian, Mediterranean, and Southeast Asian cooking.
BLACK MUSTARD SEEDS, known as "barik rai" in the local dialect in India, are a traditional variety cultivated in the Bihar region of India. Renowned for their small size and deep color, these seeds possess a delightful nutty taste accompanied by a distinctive sharpness. When subjected to cooking, their flavors mellow and intensify, reaching their peak when bloomed in fat and bursting with a delightful pop. Another popular method is to toast them for inclusion in stir-fries, stews, and various vegetable dishes. Furthermore, these seeds prove to be excellent for pickling purposes, adding a unique dimension to preserved foods.
Here are some key characteristics and uses of BLACK MUSTARD SEEDS:
- Flavor: Black mustard seeds have a pungent, sharp, and slightly bitter taste. When toasted or cooked, they develop a nutty and spicy flavor.
- Culinary uses: These seeds are primarily used for tempering and adding flavor to dishes. They are often fried in oil or ghee (clarified butter) to release their aromatic compounds. They can be used whole, crushed, or ground into a powder.
- Spice blends: Black mustard seeds are a common ingredient in spice blends such as curry powder, garam masala, and pickling spices.
- Pickling: They are frequently used in pickling recipes to add flavor and a distinctive tanginess.
- Indian cuisine: Black mustard seeds are a crucial component of Indian cuisine, especially in dishes from the southern regions. They are used in various curries, chutneys, sambars (a lentil-based soup), and rasam (a tangy soup).
- Salad dressings and marinades: These seeds can be included in salad dressings, marinades, and sauces to enhance the overall flavor profile.
- Health benefits: Mustard seeds, including black mustard seeds, are known for their potential health benefits. They contain essential minerals like selenium and magnesium and are a source of omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, and protein. They are also rich in antioxidants and may have anti-inflammatory properties.
It's worth noting that black mustard seeds have a stronger flavor compared to their yellow counterparts (from the white mustard plant). When using them in recipes, it's recommended to be mindful of their potency and adjust the quantity according to personal taste preferences.
Origin: Bihar, India
Also know as: Barik Rai
Ingredients: Black mustard seeds (Brassica nigra)
This shipped quickly, which was wonderful, but nothing compared to the actual treat inside! The spices are wonderful, packaged beautifully, and absolutely perfect for what we needed. We will be ordering again, and are very excited to use all the spices in our gift pack!
Great Saffron! Great quality and it comes right to your door. I am happy to help out a family business that is growing a great product.
We have been buying saffron from Heray for a few years. Always excellent quality.