Jalebi is a popular sweet dish or dessert in South Asia and the Middle East, particularly in Afghanistan, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran, and . It is made by deep-frying a wheat flour batter in circular or pretzel-like shapes, which are then soaked in sugar syrup. The sugar syrup imparts a sweet and slightly tangy flavor to the crispy and syrupy jalebi, which is typically bright orange or yellow in color due to the use of food coloring.
Jalebi is often served during festivals, celebrations, and special occasions, and is also a popular street food. It can be eaten on its own or paired with other sweets such as rabri (sweetened milk) or served with a savory dish such as samosas or kachoris.
Here's a recipe to make Jalebi, also known as Saffron Funnel Cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons maida (fine wheat flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron strands
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- oil for deep frying
- orange food coloring (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, fine wheat flour, and baking powder.
- Add the warm water slowly and whisk until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- Soak the saffron strands in 1 tablespoon of warm water for 10 minutes. Add this to the batter.
- Add a few drops of orange food coloring, if desired.
- Fill a piping bag with the batter and snip off the end to form a small hole.
- In a separate saucepan, mix together the sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then continue to boil until the syrup thickens. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Pipe the batter into the hot oil in a circular motion, creating a spiral. Fry until the jalebi is golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the jalebi from the oil using a slotted spoon and immediately dip it into the syrup for about 30 seconds.
- Serve the jalebi warm, garnished with chopped nuts or dried fruit, if desired.
Enjoy your Jalebi!
Jalebi is a beloved and iconic sweet dish that is popular across South Asia and the Middle East. The crispy and syrupy dessert is made by deep-frying a wheat flour batter in circular or pretzel-like shapes, which are then soaked in sugar syrup. The syrupy texture and sweet and tangy flavor of jalebi make it a favorite dessert during festivals and celebrations.